Wednesday, March 1, 2017

"Nothing New Under the Sun"

TdM Sun Card (Noblet)
Shakespeare wrote those words hundreds of years ago in Sonnet 59. 
Actually, he had rephrased a verse from the Holy Bible, Ecclesiastes (1:9) 

Lamenting Shakespeare's birthday is the day before mine, it's my secret joke that if he paraphrased others, I must be the equivalent of Tony Two-Times (Two-Times), a character who repeats his speech pattern. 

There are hundreds, nay thousands of Tarot blogs, and even more Professional Tarot readers and books on the topic; most of my online peers are Tarot readers. For years I have resisted adding my own blog to the mix, wondering, "What can I offer that hasn't already been said on the subject?

And yet, I am the one who will sit and judge the content of Tarot blogs- some giving book and deck reviews on items gifted to them by the creator, or those thinly veiling their shop or service by calling their webpage a "blog" and grouse,  "That's not how I would blog!"  Or worse, I see flashy, shiny blogs, with professional looking pictures of beautifully staged content, and worry "How could I compete with that?"

People come to Tarot seeking knowledge,approval, often validation, all of which comes from within. A reading should rarely surprise you- it really is "The Tarot You Know"- it sees and can keep your secrets. Each card is a snapshot looking in a mirror- the original selfie. Inherently neither good nor bad, it just Is. Tarot can help you achieve your goals. And it's a great tool in magick.

After too long worrying what others may think, I am starting my own blog.
The intent is not to teach you tarot, nor to sell you things or services; hopefully I can share with you my views from my years as a tarot student- book reviews I would like to read, websites/links to to things that aren't on the first page of an online search, and just plenty of Taroty thoughts in general.

I leave you with my favorite quote by Rita Mae Brown on the subject of writing:

“If you don't like my book, write your own. If you don't think you can write a novel, that ought to tell you something. If you think you can, do. No excuses. If you still don't like my novel, find a book you do like. Life is too short to be miserable. If you do like my novels, I commend your good taste.”


Well, insert blog for novel, and you get the idea :-)


8 comments:

  1. Welcome to the land of Tarot blogging! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Blogdom, Sharon! As soon as I found out there was such a thing as a 'weblog' I started blogging and nothing and no one has been able to stop me since that day. Some of us blog because we have to. If others like it, it's only a bonus. I see it as therapy. Luckily that worked out for other purposes too. Hope you have fun blogging and please don't forget to share in the Tarot Agora! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate all the support,and from such an amazing online Tarot presence. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Yeah! Go not worrying about what others thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *think. Because I am functional today...

      Delete
    2. Thank you for taking the time to read my first post!

      Delete
  4. It’s important to set your own goals and work hard to achieve them.

    ReplyDelete